Salary $43.89 - $65.83 Hourly
Location Seattle, WA
Job Type Classified Civil Service, Regular, Full-Time
Department Seattle Information Technology
Job Number 2022-02443
This posting will be open until filled; first review of applications will begin on January 17, 2023.
Are you skilled with facilitating large group gathering sessions, implementing new systems, and have a passion for service, community, and technology? If so, this is the opportunity for you! Seattle Information Technology (IT) is seeking candidates for two (2) Business Analysts (StratAdvsr1,Info Technol) with the Project Delivery Division.
As a city, Seattle is known as a dynamic leader in technology, innovation, and the environment. As an employer, the City of Seattle is leading local government in environmental stewardship and social justice among other things, making our city what it is today and shaping our exciting future. The organization’s workforce plays a meaningful role in making this possible.
Seattle IT is a trusted partner that provides secure, reliable, and compliant technologies enabling the City of Seattle to deliver equitable and responsive services to the residents of Seattle. This purpose statement is a simple declaration of who we are and why we do our work. It is intended to be a guide that helps us to not lose sight of why we perform everyday tasks or to invest effort to tackle difficult problems. It emphasizes that our existence as a department is to support our City partners. It reminds us that we are part of a larger organization that collectively is working towards improving the lives of the residents of our city. The 600+ strong professionals in Seattle IT are involved in the full spectrum of a modern IT enterprise offering many dynamic career opportunities. We hope you’ll join us!
Business Analysts at Seattle IT are within the Project Delivery division on one of two teams of 10-12 Business Analysts and Senior Business Analysts. You will work closely with members of the Project Management teams also within Project Delivery.
In this role you will apply your technical and analytical skills for requirements and business process analysis related to technology implementation projects. Assigned projects will range in duration from under twelve months to multi-year efforts and will support clients within IT or any other City department. You will be accountable for requirements elicitation, data & process analysis, business process & workflow mapping, test plan development & execution, and end-user training. You will support a variety of activities through all aspects of a four-pillar approach to Business Analysis, including alignment to the BABOK standards, organizational change management, performance metrics and continuous process improvement when designing future state. In this role, you can expect strong support and partnership from the Project Delivery Leadership team.
You will be working on projects supporting City departments and can expect to accomplish tasks including:
- Facilitating the implementation of new software & hardware, integration of business processes into existing applications and the evaluation of workflow processes of the organization.
- Working closely with business customers at all levels from front-line to executive leadership.
- Ensuring business goals and strategies are reflected in the recommended solution.
- Eliciting, recommending, and documenting specific business and technology requirements.
- Documenting fit/gap analyses, functional specifications, business & software requirements, use cases/user stories, and process/workflow diagrams.
- Supporting business users by collaboratively helping develop user procedures and training materials; may also deliver training or develop training materials on the new system.
- Working with the Quality Assurance resources to deliver sound test plans and quality results by reviewing process and system changes.
- Developing and maintaining a detailed knowledge of business processes and associated IT systems.
- Building a strong working relationship with application owners, key business partners, and IT resources to ensure the organization is delivering the right services and products required by the business.
- Gathering and evaluating information from various sources for project planning, requirements definition, and evaluation of user requests to interpret the underlying needs of the business.
- Collaborating with developers, subject matter experts and enterprise architects on system design and documentation.
- Advancing the City’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion to ensure solutions support equity goals.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered in lieu of the required qualifications.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and/or experience.
- Minimum of 2 years experience implementing technology projects.
- Proven experience implementing new systems and/or replacement of legacy systems.
- Skilled in facilitating requirements gathering sessions with large groups; ability to bring groups to consensus.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to build trust and engagement with project team and business partners.
- Business Analyst Certification (ECBA).
- Government and/or public sector experience.
- Experience with both Agile or Waterfall methodologies.
- Experience working with external vendors
- Experience engaging with all levels of management including senior level executives.
- Experience with business process modeling, creating and analyzing workflows, and data analysis.
Why work at the City of Seattle?
The City of Seattle recognizes every City employee must play a role in ending institutional and structural racism. Our culture is the result of our behavior, our personal commitments, and the ways that we courageously share our views and encourage others to do the same. To cultivate an antiracist culture, we seek employees who will engage in the Race and Social Justice Initiative by working to dismantle racist policies and procedures, unlearn the way things have always been done, and provide equitable processes and services.
Employees of the City of Seattle enjoy competitive pay and comprehensive benefits package generous leave programs, and the satisfaction of doing work that helps make Seattle a great place to live, work, and play. Explore City of Seattle –Benefits at a Glance (Download PDF reader) for more information!
Application Process: For optimal consideration, we encourage you to include a cover letter and resume with your application. We encourage you to use your cover letter to discuss why you want to do this work and how you meet the qualifications for the position. Your resume should summarize the talent, experience, knowledge, and skills you bring to this work. Apply online at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/seattle/
If you have any questions, please contact Naomi Recania at email@example.com.
COVID 19 Vaccination Mandate: All City of Seattle employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If selected, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination prior to your start date. People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine. Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
Workplace Environment (Telework Expectation): Most work is performed in a regular City work/office environment; however, due to the ongoing pandemic, Seattle IT is currently working a hybrid schedule with two days in office and three days remote. This is subject to change as circumstances dictate.
Background Check: This hiring process involves a background check of conviction and arrest records in compliance with Seattle's Fair Chance Employment Ordinance, SMC 14.17. Applicants will be provided an opportunity to explain or correct background information.
Who may apply: This position is open to all candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle values different view points and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. The City encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experience.
- City of Seattle
- Seattle Municipal Tower
700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500
Seattle, Washington, 98104