Senior GIS Developer (ITP-B, BU)
Senior GIS Developer (ITP-B, BU)
Are you passionate about geospatial technology and its potential to transform local government? As a Senior GIS Developer at the City of Seattle, you will be developing innovative GIS solutions that enable data-driven decision-making! We are seeking a versatile GIS Developer with a solid grasp of GIS concepts and technologies who is a highly motivated, self-starter, problem solver and thrives on meaningful projects and learning new technologies.
You will be in a lead technical role in designing, developing, and maintaining our geospatial applications and processes for the web, desktop and server platforms. In addition, this role is a member of multi-functional project teams to build groundbreaking GIS solutions that address complex business challenges and improve operational efficiency.About the Team
As a city, Seattle is known as a dynamic leader in technology, innovation, and the environment. As an employer, the City is leading local government in environmental stewardship and social justice among other things, making our city what it is today and shaping our exciting future. The organization’s workforce plays a meaningful role in making this possible.Seattle IT is a trusted partner that provides secure, reliable, and compliant technologies enabling the City to deliver equitable and responsive services to the citizens of Seattle. This purpose statement is a simple declaration of who we are and why we do our work. It is intended to be a guide that helps us to not lose sight of why we perform everyday tasks or to invest effort to tackle difficult problems. It emphasizes that our existence as a department is to support our City partners. It reminds us that we are part of a larger organization that collectively is working towards improving the lives of the residents of our city. The 600+ strong professionals in Seattle IT are involved in the full spectrum of a modern IT enterprise offering many dynamic career opportunities. We hope you’ll join us!
- Design, construct, and maintain an array of custom GIS applications, tools, spatial data processing scripts, and web services, using standard software lifecycle processes.
- Serve as technical lead on select assigned projects.
- Build RESTful web services using ASP.NET MVC Web API to perform create, read, update and delete operations on GIS and other business system data.
- Do GIS database modeling and optimization using Oracle and Esri’s Enterprise Geodatabase.
- Collect, document and analyze user, business and functional software requirements. Assess technology solutions and recommend options.
- Design, develop and implement custom GIS software solutions.
- Provide support, problem solving, modifications, enhancements and maintenance for existing GIS applications, scripts, tools and web services.
- Optimize current processes to run securely, efficiently, and accurately to minimize negative user impact.
- Experience with the Esri software suite (ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Enterprise, ArcGIS Online, Experience Builder).
- Experience doing .NET Core development (C#, ASP.NET, MVC, web API)
- Proficiency working with a relational database management systems such as Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, or PostGreSQL including developing stored procedures, functions, and triggers
- Shown ability working in all phases of the software development lifecycle (SDLC) ranging from requirements analysis through implementation and maintenance
- Proficiency doing spatial analyses and linear referencing.
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Experience building and maintaining ETL processes using Python, ArcPy and SQL.
- Ability to explain sophisticated technical concepts in clear and common language.
- Experience in UI/UX design for GIS and non-GIS applications
- Experience developing mobile applications for iOS and Android
- Experience developing cloud native tools and applications.
- Experience using Azure DevOps and GIT
- Experience collaborating with customers to collect requirements and translate them into technical specifications.
- Experience integrating GIS with external business systems.
- Experience with municipal or transportation applications of GIS.
- Knowledge of database concepts, database design, data modeling, and system architecture.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Capability to work efficiently with multiple assignments.
- Familiarity with Geocortex and VertiGIS Studio configuration and support.
The full salary range for this position is $45.44 - $68.20 per hour. The salary for this individual role has been identified as $56.00 - $63.00 per hour (DOE).
Why work at the City of Seattle?
The City of Seattle recognizes every City employee must play a role in ending institutional and structural racism. Our culture is the result of our behavior, our personal commitments, and the ways that we courageously share our views and encourage others to do the same. To cultivate an antiracist culture, we seek employees who will engage in the Race and Social Justice Initiative by working to dismantle racist policies and procedures, unlearn the way things have always been done, and provide equitable processes and services.
The City offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents. More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans.
A cover letter and resume is required with your application. We encourage you to use your cover letter to discuss why you want to do this work and how you meet the qualifications for the position. Your resume should summarize the talent, experience, knowledge, and skills you bring to this work. Apply online at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/seattle/
If you have any questions, please contact Naomi Recania at email@example.com.
Workplace Environment (Telework Expectation): This position offers the flexibility of a hybrid work schedule. At this time, hybrid telework schedules have a minimum requirement of two days onsite per week. Individual schedules will be based on operational needs and agreement between the employee and their supervisor.
Background Check: This hiring process involves a background check of conviction and arrest records in compliance with Seattle's Fair Chance Employment Ordinance, SMC 14.17. Applicants will be provided an opportunity to explain or correct background information.
Who may apply: This position is open to all candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle values different view points and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. The City encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experience.
- City of Seattle
- Seattle Municipal Tower
700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500
Seattle, Washington, 98104