Senior GIS Developer (ITP-B, BU)
Senior GIS Developer (ITP-B, BU)
Salary $45.44 - $68.20 Hourly
Location Seattle, WA
Job Type Classified Civil Service, Regular, Full-Time
Department Seattle Information Technology
Job Number 2023-00083
Closing 1/31/2023 4:00 PM Pacific
Are you a GIS expert with a solid grasp of web application design and development wanting to give back to the community through meaningful work? If so, this may be the job for you! Seattle Information Technology is seeking candidates to fill two (2) roles within the Applications Division.
The senior GIS developer is a member of the GIS and CADD developer team. This team is responsible for supporting and building custom GIS solutions for a diverse set of city departments that includes transportation, building and permitting, and utilities. It requires a deep technical background in GIS, relational database, and web technologies. The position is for a full stack developer that can develop and maintain web services and interfaces, build front-end and back-end applications and processes, perform testing, troubleshoot software, fix bugs and collaborate with other City departments on projects and sprints.
This position will provide lead technical direction on both large and small GIS projects, and will frequently partner with product owners and users, to deliver GIS applications, spatial analysis and functionality in the form of web apps, desktop apps and automated processing. Assignments can range from independent work to being a member on large team projects. This is a fast paced and exiting work environment with a philosophy of continuous modernization and continuous improvement!
As a city, Seattle is known as a dynamic leader in technology, innovation, and the environment. As an employer, the City of Seattle is leading local government in environmental stewardship and social justice among other things, making our city what it is today and shaping our exciting future. The organization’s workforce plays a meaningful role in making this possible.
Seattle IT is a trusted partner that provides secure, reliable, and compliant technologies enabling the City of Seattle to deliver equitable and responsive services to the residents of Seattle. This purpose statement is a simple declaration of who we are and why we do our work. It is intended to be a guide that helps us to not lose sight of why we perform everyday tasks or to invest effort to tackle difficult problems. It emphasizes that our existence as a department is to support our City partners. It reminds us that we are part of a larger organization that collectively is working towards improving the lives of the residents of our city. The 600+ strong professionals in Seattle IT are involved in the full spectrum of a modern IT enterprise offering many dynamic career opportunities. We hope you’ll join us!
- Design, construct, and maintain an array of custom GIS applications, tools, spatial data processing scripts, and web services, using standard software lifecycle processes.
- Serve as technical lead on select assigned projects.
- Build RESTful web services using ASP.NET MVC Web API to perform create, read, update and delete operations on GIS and other business system data.
- Do GIS database modeling and optimization using Oracle and Esri’s Enterprise Geodatabase.
- Collect, document and analyze user, business and functional software requirements. Assess technology solutions and recommend options.
- Design, develop and implement custom GIS software solutions.
- Provide support, problem solving, modifications, enhancements and maintenance for existing GIS applications, scripts, tools and web services.
- Optimize current processes to run securely, efficiently, and accurately to minimize negative user impact.
Education: BA or BS in Geography (GIS), Computer Science or related field
- A solid foundation of software development using C#, .NET Core, .NET Framework, and ASP.NET Core
- A solid understanding of GIS and experience with the Esri software suite (ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Server, ArcObjects, Runtime SDKs, etc.)
- Proficiency working with a relational database management systems such as Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, or other.
- Shown ability in performing all phases of the software development lifecycle (SDLC) ranging from requirements analysis through implementation and maintenance
- Demonstrable ability to explain sophisticated technical concepts in clear and common language
- Demonstrated success in problem solving and trouble shooting
- Proficiency with spatial analyses and linear referencing.
- Experience with ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Portal.
- Proficiency in Oracle procedures, triggers, sequences, constraints, and VPD policies.
- Solid grasp of software development principles.
- Experience with municipal or transportation applications of GIS
- Experience with user interface design for GIS and non-GIS applications
- Experience developing mobile applications for iOS and Android
- Experience using Azure DevOps and GIT
- Experience integrating GIS with external business systems
- Thorough knowledge of database concepts, database design, data modeling, and system architecture
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Capability to work efficiently with multiple assignments.
- Experience with SQL development in Oracle 11g, 12c, 19c.
- Familiarity with Geocortex and VertiGIS studio configuration and support.
Why work at the City of Seattle?
The City of Seattle recognizes every City employee must play a role in ending institutional and structural racism. Our culture is the result of our behavior, our personal commitments, and the ways that we courageously share our views and encourage others to do the same. To cultivate an antiracist culture, we seek employees who will engage in the Race and Social Justice Initiative by working to dismantle racist policies and procedures, unlearn the way things have always been done, and provide equitable processes and services.
Employees of the City of Seattle enjoy competitive pay and comprehensive benefits package generous leave programs, and the satisfaction of doing work that helps make Seattle a great place to live, work, and play. Explore City of Seattle –Benefits at a Glance (Download PDF reader) for more information!
For optimal consideration, we encourage you to include a cover letter and resume with your application. We encourage you to use your cover letter to discuss why you want to do this work and how you meet the qualifications for the position. Your resume should summarize the talent, experience, knowledge, and skills you bring to this work. Apply online at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/seattle/
If you have any questions, please contact Naomi Recania at firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID 19 Vaccination Mandate:
All City of Seattle employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If selected, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination prior to your start date. People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine. Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
Workplace Environment (Telework Expectation): Most work is performed in a regular City work/office environment; however, due to the ongoing pandemic, Seattle IT is currently working a hybrid schedule with two days in office and three days remote. This is subject to change as circumstances dictate.
This hiring process involves a background check of conviction and arrest records in compliance with Seattle's Fair Chance Employment Ordinance, SMC 14.17. Applicants will be provided an opportunity to explain or correct background information.
Benefits: The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans
Who may apply:
This position is open to all candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle values different view points and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. The City encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experience.
NOTE: This position is covered by a collective bargaining unit; International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 77. For information explore Local 77’s website.
- City of Seattle
- Seattle Municipal Tower
700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500
Seattle, Washington, 98104