Information Technology Network Specialist
City Of Ukiah Ukiah, CA Full-time Information Services / Technology (IT)
Posted on March 4, 2023
These examples are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed in positions allocated to this class. The examples of work performed are neither restricted to nor all encompassing of the duties to be performed under this job title.
- Installation, configuration, and maintenance of the City’s network, wide area network, file servers, e-mail server, application servers, and print servers.
- Assist escalation of issues from team in the configuration, install, or maintenance of City desktop computer equipment and software applications.
- Troubleshoot hardware and software applications.
- Update hardware and software as directed.
- Assist in coordinating integration of new systems and applications into existing systems and networks.
- Assist with direct support and training to users as needed.
- Backup and restoration of information systems critical data.
- Assist in administration of system security, institute periodic security checks; perform audits of system logs for conformity to City policy.
- Manage user access as directed by supervisors or authorized personnel.
- Troubleshoot telephone and equipment issues and coordinate repairs, as assigned.
- Coordinate and participate with other City departments and agencies on technology projects as required.
- Participate in emergency callout and after-hours support.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Information system technologies, cloud services and enterprise storage solutions.
- Microsoft operating systems, desktop applications, and cloud networking principles.
- Network and computer security practices, Powershell scripting language and VPN infrastructure.
- Networking, LANs & WANs, Midrange Systems Servers, Point-Multipoint Wireless Systems, PCs and Printers.
- Cisco IOS, Meraki, and Ubiquiti products.
- Management and Administration of Active Directory, Group Policy, TCP/IP, Routers and Firewalls.
- Word processing, Spreadsheets.
- Capabilities, limitations, characteristics, and uses of computer and records information systems.
- Practices and procedures of repairing microcomputers, computer networks, peripheral devices, cabling, and telecommunications equipment and wireless infrastructure.
- Applicable local, State, and Federal technology regulations.
- Hazards and generally accepted safety standards.
- City ordinances and administrative rules and regulations affecting departmental operations and personnel matters.
- Install and maintain technical and complex programs.
- Read, interpret, and apply complex technical publications, manuals, and related documents.
- Train individuals or groups in using computer system hardware and software in an easy-to-understand manner.
- Set up, troubleshoot, and perform routine maintenance on computer systems, managed switches, routers & firewalls.
- Effectively work with staff members of all computer skill levels.
- Organize and perform work effectively and efficiently.
- Understand the organization and operation of the City, and of outside agencies as necessary.
- Coordinate and work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Troubleshoot and maintain network infrastructure systems.
- Work flexible hours, which may include evenings and/or weekends.
- Maintain a driving record acceptable to the City’s insurance carrier.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma, or equivalent.
- Bachelor of Arts degree or the direct equivalent experience.
- Five years of experience with operating system and application software, personal computers, local area networks, wide area networks, servers, laptops, LCD projectors, printers, routers, switches, small tools, and standard office equipment.
- Five years of work experience in network support, training or analysis of managed switches, routers and firewalls.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Possession of a valid California Class C driver license.
- Possession of Microsoft Server, Azure Cloud, and/or Cisco certification preferred.
Necessary Special Requirements:
- Lift moderately heavy computer equipment up to 50 pounds routinely.
- Ability to use small hand tools, including those battery/electrically operated, requiring manual dexterity.
- Sound and visual perception and discrimination.
- Tasks are occasionally performed with exposure to adverse environmental conditions.