IT SPECIALIST I
City Of Ukiah Ukiah, CA Full-time Information Services / Technology (IT)
Posted on March 6, 2023
These examples are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed in positions allocated to this class. The examples of work performed are neither restricted to nor all encompassing of the duties to be performed under this job title.
- Desktop support for City computers.
- Order, configure, install, administer, and maintain City desktop computer equipment and software applications.
- Troubleshoot hardware and software applications.
- Assist with installation, configuration, and maintenance of the City’s network, wide area network, file servers, e-mail server, application servers, and print servers.
- Update hardware and software as directed.
- Assist in coordinating integration of new systems and applications into existing systems and networks.
- Assist with monitoring the City’s website(s).
- Provide direct support and training to users.
- Backup and restoration of information systems critical data.
- Assist in administration of system security, institute periodic security checks; perform audits of system logs for conformity to City policy.
- Authorize system access to users and maintain necessary documentation of authorities assigned.
- Troubleshoot telephone and cellular service and equipment issues and coordinate repairs, as assigned.
- Coordinate and participate with other City departments and agencies on technology projects as required.
- Participate in emergency callout and after-hours support.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Information system technologies.
- Network and computer security practices.
- Networking, LANs & WANs, Midrange Systems Servers, PCs and Printers.
- Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows Server 2008r2 & 2012r2, and AS/400 systems.
- Active Directory, Group Policy, TCP/IP, Routers and Firewalls.
- Word processing, Spreadsheet, database, website, and desktop publishing techniques.
- Capabilities, limitations, characteristics, and uses of computer and records information systems.
- Practices and procedures of repairing microcomputers, computer networks, peripheral devices, cabling, and telecommunications equipment.
- Applicable local, State, and Federal technology regulations.
- Hazards and generally accepted safety standards.
- City ordinances and administrative rules and regulations affecting departmental operations and personnel matters.
- Install and maintain software programs.
- Read, interpret, and apply technical publications, manuals, and related documents.
- Train individuals or groups in using computer system hardware and software in an easy-to-understand manner.
- Set up, troubleshoot, and perform routine maintenance on computer systems and related equipment.
- Effectively work with staff members of all computer skill levels.
- Organize and perform work effectively and efficiently.
- Understand the organization and operation of the City, and of outside agencies as necessary.
- Coordinate and work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Maintain information technology systems
- Work flexible hours, which may include evenings and/or weekends.
- Maintain a driving record acceptable to the City’s insurance carrier.
- Lift up to 50 pounds regularly.
Experience and Education:
- High school diploma, or equivalent, and;
- Associate of Science degree or the direct equivalent experience preferred.
- Knowledge of operating systems, application software, personal computers, local area networks, wide area networks, servers, laptops, LCD projectors, printers, routers, switches, hubs, networking cable, small tools, and standard office equipment.
- Two years of work experience in Information Technology support, training or analysis preferred.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Possession of a valid Class C California driver license.
- Possession of MCDST, MCSA, or MCP Certification preferred.
Necessary Special Requirements:
- Lift moderately heavy computer equipment up to 50 pounds routinely.
- Ability to use small hand tools, including those battery/electrically operated, requiring manual dexterity.
- Sound and visual perception and discrimination.
- Tasks are occasionally performed with exposure to adverse environmental conditions.